Sunday, April 18, 2010

Entirely NOT related to fabric or yarn, but...

...out of curiosity, did anyone happen to watch the season premiere of Doctor Who on BBC America last night? I'm still trying to decide what I think about the latest new guy. I am kinda hard on the new guys, I'll admit. Its a long story (and if you read this whole post, you'll probably hear it) that goes back for years. I don't think its actually a prejudice against any change, exactly. But I will admit to being teed off about them changing Doctors AGAIN already... Let me explain. (This is the part where the long story comes in. Feel free to skip it if you're not in the mood.)


They say you never forget your first Doctor, and I am a Tom Baker Fourth Doctor girl. I can remember watching him on PBS waaayyyy back in the time of cavemen. (Or, at least, my very early childhood. Depending on who you ask, its the same thing.) And then came the regeneration, and a new guy. The Fifth Doctor (or, as he will be called for the rest of this post, the idiot with the celery-IWC), who as far as I am concerned is the ultimate crap. My best friend and her brother used to watch the Doctor as well, and she remembers this guy instead of THE Doctor. She seems to like him well enough, but I hated everything about him! I could not stand to watch him. It was so bad that I gave up my very favorite show and didn't really even think about the Doctor for many many years (no, I don't know exactly how many, and I refuse to even guess for fear of confirming certain people's opinions of my hailing from the caveman era).

Fast forward a lot of years: The SciFi channel arrives on my tv. I think, "Oh wow! This is great! They HAVE to show the Doctor, right??" WRONG!! Not a single episode anywhere in sight. Ever. [huge sigh of disappointment] But, years later, I accidentally stumble over DVDs of the Doctor being sold in my favorite bookstore. YAY! Naturally, I bought several (and have added more in years since). I was loving it.

After a while, I began to wonder whether I had been a little bit hard on IWC. I thought, "Maybe he really wasn't all that bad... My friend likes him well enough. Maybe I was just upset because I thought they were trying to sneak in a new actor because they were of the opinion that little kids are stupid and wouldn't notice...Maybe I was wrong..." So with open mind, I went to the store and found one of his episodes, spent my hard earned cash on the DVD, and went home to see what he was like...

And what I discovered was- I was absolutely RIGHT about him all along! I still can't stand the sight of him. He tees me off just by walking onto my tv screen. I can't believe I wasted money on him!... And so I vowed never again to stray from The Doctor, Tom Baker.


Fast forward again. I was at work, and my friend that I worked with would always come in and tell you in detail what he watched on tv the night before. So, he comes in one morning and starts telling me all about this great new tv show he saw on SciFi the night before...
(this is the approximate conversation, as I obviously haven't got a memory even NEAR good enough to remember exact words from that many years ago)
Him: There was a really good new show of tv last night. Its called Doctor Who and its all about this guy in a blue box...

Me (thinking to myself): OMG! Really??!? They finally got the Doctor on tv????

But, then, he just kept going on and on, and the more he said, the more I realized that it wasn't my Doctor. It was some other guy pretending to be the Doctor... Well, CRAP! So, I basically decided that the only reason he could possibly have for liking the show was that he didn't know any better. He'd never seen the REAL Doctor. Wasn't his fault, but....

A couple of nights later: I'm trying to stay awake long enough to watch my show on tv. It doesn't come on for an hour, and I've been up since 4:30 in the morning. Meaning, I have to find something to keep me occupied for an hour. Surfing through the channel guide, I discover that, low and behold, the so-called Doctor is coming on. What to do?... Finally, I decided that my friend liked it, it will kill an hour until my show comes on, what's the worst that could happen? (Answer: I will waste an hour of my life only to find out that I was right to begin with.) Should I watch it?? What the heck? So I did. (This was the Christopher Eccleston version of the Doctor, btw.)

At first, it wasn't really promising. All I was seeing was some stupid girl going through her day. All I could think was "Who cares? Where is this so called Doctor??" And then, there he was. He was so very different than what I was expecting. And I was kinda fascinated. So I watched. And at the end of the hour, as I turned the channel, I realized something surprising. I didn't hate it/him. My show ended up being a rerun (don't you hate that?) so I went back to watch another episode of this new Doctor. And by the end, I realized something else that surprised me. Not only did I NOT hate it, but I actually was liking it! I was amazed.

I was quite enjoying this new Doctor, when I discovered something else fun. BBC America was also showing it, so between the two channels I could watch it about 3 times a week (when I wasn't working). I was very happy. And then, I turned it on to find the ELO episode (that's what I call it, and I don't have my DVD available at the moment to look up the real name- its packed in a box somewhere for the move). It was a strange episode, with some guy talking to a camera... oh, wait! There went Rose...and some sort of alien monster thingy... and some guy... where's the Doctor?? Then they told me that that guy WAS the Doctor. WHAT???

After the confusion got sorted and I found the episodes that had been lost by skipping between the two tv stations, I decided that the new new guy (David Tennant) was actually a pretty good Doctor too. Yay for you guys at BBC! You finally got a good one (or two)!

So, when all was said and done, I had found three versions of the Doctor that I really liked to watch. Numbers Four, Nine, and Ten. And then they went and ruined it. They decided-again- to get another new guy! Does anyone else feel that they're just changing actors way too fast here? My main concern is that they're gonna run out really quickly at this rate. Unless they want to rewrite the basic premise of the show, they can only have at most thirteen actors to play the Doctor. (That was in a Tom Baker episode way back... He told the Master that 12 regenerations is all you get and then you have to die. So, by my count, one original life plus twelve regenerations equals a maximum of thirteen Doctors...) This new guy is Doctor #11. Aren't we going too quickly?? Its the longest running science fiction show in the history of television. And, once again after far too many years without it, I am enjoying it very much. Or at least, I was. Now I'm kinda worried....


I don't know yet whether I'm gonna like this new guy. I do know two things for sure at this point:
1. I don't hate him on sight, so he is one step ahead of the idiot with the celery, and
2. I miss David Tennant as the Doctor, if only because of the novelty of having a Doctor that was not only really cool, but also very easy on the eyes... (being eye-candy is NOT a requirement in order to play the Doctor, but it is a very nice bonus! And also something of a novelty...)

To make a very long story short (er) for those who skipped down from the top of the page, I don't hate the new guy, but I think it is going to take some time to get used to him. I do plan to give him the chance to prove that he belongs on my short list of Doctors worth watching. I was just wondering what everyone else's reaction to him is after just this first episode? Anyone care to venture an opinion?

I think that's more than enough rambling for one night. Off to bed with me....

1 comment:

  1. BTW--slight misrepresentation. Tom Baker will forever be THE Doctor--he's the one I grew up with. IWC was okay, but that's about when I stopped watching it too. My brother was the big Doctor Who fan, but I liked it too, at least until they screwed it up.

    ReplyDelete