Saturday, April 3, 2010

Isn't it always the way?

So, I've been thinking about starting this blog for a really long time. And one day- in the not too distant past- I finally decided that I could regularly find ten or fifteen minutes a day to spend updating, so I went for it and a blog was born...
Doesn't it just figure that right after that, life would walk up, slap me in the face, and say, "What the heck were you thinking? You don't have any spare time!"
(Yes, that is exactly what happened!... That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)
Anyway, a lot has been going on here. April is always an incredibly busy month for my family, what with all the birthdays, anniversaries, and so on. Added to that this year (again) is Easter. (Happy Easter, by the way.) And if that wasn't enough, we are in the middle of selling our house, and hence, trying to find a new one... I'm very afraid that spare blogging time is going to be relatively scarce for a while. I hope we can get settled very soon and then we'll all get to settle into a nice, boring, blogging-friendly (and needlework friendly) routine.




In the meantime, here are a few pictures from today. Not a lot of quilty time this week, although I did manage a small bit of crochet. I should have it finished in a few days- I hope- and I can post a couple of pictures. Anyway, I spent most of this week planning and preparing for today: my Little Miss and her first birthday celebration. Her birthday is actually Tuesday, the 6th, but Tuesday is a horrible day for a party, so....







These pictures are NOT in the order I wanted them, and I can't figure out how to rearrange them, but I guess we'll deal with it. I spent a lot of the week trying to decide once and for all what kind of cake to make for her. Changed my mind about fifty times, bought the stuff to make a cake, and then changed my mind again and ended up with something completely different!




This is a shot of the whole table, the ones above are obviously closeups. There was a lot of cake here! I didn't mean to end up with so much... honestly! It was going to be a castle cake, but when I dug out all the pans to start baking, I changed my mind. So there was no real plan here. Then, the plan changed again when the flower shaped cupcakes all stuck to the silicone pan and crumbled. And by then, we had tons of cake but still a lot of batter... so we ended up with cupcakes too!

I actually don't mind too much. My philosophy is as follows: If you bring people over and promise to feed them, it is much better to have too much food as opposed to too little. Leftovers can always be sent home with departing guests...
I think I like the cake that I finally ended up with. Its not my best effort, but for a spur of the moment, fly by the seat of my pants cake, its not bad.
The thing I can't quite figure out is this. How come I have about fourteen pictures of the cake table but not one of the party girl on my camera?? I got her on video. I know this for a fact. But not a single one on my camera... Weird.
So that concludes my week. Tomorrow is another big day. Not only is it Easter, (her second Easter in fact. How she managed to get in two Easters before her first birthday, I'll never know. But she definitely planned well!), but also, my husband gets to come home for a very short visit. Sadly, he has to turn right around and go back to the stinkin' job tomorrow night... but at least we have him for a few hours.
Enjoy your holiday, and your upcoming week. May you all have much more time for your quilting and other projects than I expect to have. See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment