Wednesday, April 14, 2010

We've been pretty busy lately...

...unfortunately, almost none of it has been craft related. Which sucks.


The problem, you see, is that after months of trying we have finally succeeded in selling our house. This didn't happen until April which, for me, is the worst month of the year (except possibly December) for something like this to happen. And my husband is away at work, so no help in dealing with any of this is forthcoming. Although, to be fair, he does do everything he can to help (which isn't a lot considering he's in central Virginia, working 12 hour shifts, at night, 6 days a week, but bless his heart, he does try hard to help me). So, I have been spending my time looking for a place to live (still looking), a place to store all of our stuff until we find a place to live, packing, trying to find boxes for packing, dealing with realtors, and -oh, yeah- taking care of my newly-turned one year old who's into everything! And have I mentioned that I don't deal well with this sort of thing? Its very important to me to be able to know exactly where I'll be and what will be going on (approximately). Needless to say, I am incredibly stressed out and upset at the moment. And have been for weeks now. And it doesn't seem to be getting any better.
(I just realized that that makes me sound rather OCD... I'm not really that bad, but I am definitely NOT a gypsy. I find that I really need the stability of a home in order to be at peace with the world. Especially since the baby came along. You can call me OCD if you need to. My husband does sometimes...)


I realize that the first thing any of you will prescribe for stress is plenty of time in the quilt room, petting the stash and sewing. Or possibly knitting, crocheting, etc. Please believe me when I say, "I wish I could!" Sadly, the time that I could devote to such things (naptime, and after bedtime) has been taken up lately by sorting, packing, labeling, and all other horrible things connected with moving house. It took so long to get some boxes so that I could start, that I was afraid not to start, you know? Especially since so much of my time lately (and still) is spent driving to the area we are moving to and house hunting. (We live in West Virginia for a couple more weeks, but we are moving to Tennessee. Don't ask- its all my husband's idea...) That's a lot of driving. With so far no house to show for it. As a matter of fact, we're leaving in a few hours to try and look at more houses. YUCK!


Anyway, since my blog posts have gotten pushed to the side in all of the confusion, I felt the need to explain a bit and to steal of few minutes to put something up.


This picture is sideways, I know. I still haven't figured out how to get these stupid things loaded in the order I want them, or how to rotate them afterward... Technologically challenged- that's me! This is a picture of my design wall at the moment. It is supposed to be a baby quilt when it finally gets finished. I'm not sure this is the final layout of those squares. I might play with it some more before sewing. Right now, I'm thinking the holes between will be nine patches...

...made from these fabrics. Yes, it is a bit eye-searing, I know. But it was the ONLY Scooby fabric I could find, and these are the colors that seem to go well with it...
The Scooby part is a request from the impending new father. He swore to us that the nursery was going to have a Scooby Doo theme.... And he swore that the expectant mother will like it... I really hope he's telling us the truth.
(He hasn't seen any of this, btw. He passed on all the information over the phone and now he'll just have to take what he gets! ;) I do have another blanket that I will be sending them, but he asked for Scooby, so Scooby he will get!)


I did take some personal sanity time the other day to accompany my friend to a quilt shop. I have a HUGE problem with that shop, and I finally realized what it is: I WANT/NEED everything they sell! This is not good for my wallet... I love that shop!! These are some of the things that came home with me on this latest trip.
You can't tell in the picture, but the bundles are really cute little owls and trees, with an alphabet panel...so cute!


And, finally, I remember promising a picture of the baby afghan I was working on... Its finally finished. I'm not sure you can really see the true colors from these photos (white stripes, and a gorgeous mint with hints of yellow, pink, and blue) but you can definitely see the overall shape.
This is one of my favorite patterns. I've made a lot of them. The yarn is soft and bulky, it works up really quickly, perfect for a last minute baby gift. I used to be able to do one in one sitting (took about 4 or 5 hours) before Little Miss came



along and proceeded to turn our world upside down... (Wouldn't change any of it, in case you were wondering. But it does give me a lot less time for sitting on my butt with my yarn and fabric.)

This is the other blanket I'll be sending along with the Scooby quilt. Its a bit too warm for their climate- unless there's a really bad winter like the one just past- but it will definitely make a nice soft place to play, which is always good. Especially when the little one is just starting to roll over and sit, and fall over backwards...
I need to stop babbling now. I'm sure you're all more than ready for that... ;) Off we go, to deal with reality again... I hope to be back before too long. Please bear with me. I will eventually get moved into a new place and be able to post as frequently as I intended to. I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment