Friday, May 21, 2010

Basting and Birdwatching...

... and, oh yes, don't forget the squirrels! That pretty much sums up my day yesterday...

It was a beautiful, pretty much perfect, spring day here in eastern Tennessee yesterday. (Its gonna take a while for me to get used to saying Tennessee, isn't it? Still feels like I have the wrong state...) The sky was a beautiful shade of blue, no clouds anywhere, the weather was warm enough to enjoy but not too warm. There was just the smallest breeze... It was lovely.

Little Miss thoroughly enjoyed herself. She played outside for what must have been hours. She did NOT want to go back inside at all. The fresh air must have done her good, because she fell asleep without much complaint at about a quarter to seven last night. I have no idea what time she actually woke up this morning (fresh air must have done me some good as well) but the report is that she slept peacefully all night...

The beautiful weather coaxed me out as well. I packed up all of my charm quilt pieces and took them off to my table and chairs (and umbrella) which is currently living on my in-law's patio. (And actually, it really looks good there. And everyone seems to be using the furniture and enjoying it. But I still plan to drag it off to my new house asap. Sorry, everyone!) I think I sat outside for hours and hours, just watching and listening to the birds. I even got some of those hexagons basted for the quilt! I think I would have gotten more sewing done, if the birds hadn't been so interesting.

I didn't see any new species to add to my life list, but I did have the privilege of seeing something that I hadn't seen before: young cardinals. There were two or three of them (I couldn't get an accurate count, as they wouldn't sit still for more than a few seconds). They must have been practicing their flying. They took short flights all over that backyard for at least an hour. They would go from branch to bush to branch, and then right back to mom, chirping the entire time. Sort of like a child learning to ride a bike or roller skate. "Look at me, Mom, look at me! I'm over here, watch this! Watch me. Here I go! Did you see me? Did you see me??" It was quite entertaining. : )

So, that's all the news worth knowing. For the moment. We hope to have news on the house soon. With any luck at all, we can get settled and unpacked no later than June, and start getting some sort of routine back. And pictures can be a part of this post again, YAY! I'm looking forward to that. Work has been fairly slow, but steady on the charm quilt. None of the other projects have been worked on for a while. I'm trying to concentrate on getting this one pieced and ready for quilting. And also still not sure what I want to do about that baby quilt... I think now I'm waiting for my fabric stash to be unpacked. I need to see what fabrics I have left to work with there, before making any more decisions about Scooby...

Until next time, happy stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment