Sunday, May 9, 2010

I'm conducting a survey. Please help.

Its just a little one. One simple question. And I could really use some advice.

If you've stopped by before, you probably know that we are in the middle of a big move. And when I finally get into my new quilt room, I'm going to have a small problem. I need a new design wall.

For the last couple of years, I've been using a BlockButler. It was ok, but I never was able to get it to work as advertised. Supposedly, it would stick to the wall on its own (it never did- I ended up having to tack it with some small nails) and the sticky surface was going to hold the blocks up without pins (which it may do if it felt like it, but I usually had to use pins anyway). When we were packing, I decided that if I had to use pins on my design wall anyway, I did NOT want to deal with the sticky residue all over them and so I got rid of the design wall.

Now I have to find an alternative design wall. I did a search on the internet (of course) and found several options, but I'm still confused. So here is my survey question: What sort of design wall do you have in your work space and would you recommend it to friends? How well do you really like it, and how well does it work? (Wait, that ended up being two questions, didn't it? But same subject...)

So, there is the survey. Please, please, leave a comment and tell me what you think the best option would be. As I said, I'm now very confused from everything I've read. Thanks for stopping by, and especially, thanks for your help!

PS. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, Everyone! Until next time, happy stitching!

5 comments:

  1. I use 1/2" rigid insulation sheet (4ft x 8ft) and wrap it with white felt. I know some wrap it with batting or flannel but I can use a lint roller to get off threads without damaging the felt. I just mounted it with small nails but I've seen it mounted with screws with a washer. The sheet is easy to cut and also comes in 2ft wide sheets too.
    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two 4 ft by 8 ft insulation boards. They are wrapped (separately) with gridded flannel I ordered somewhere online. I stapled the flannel to the backside of the boards. I made sure to line up the grids on each board so that when placed side by side, the grid lines up on the two sheets. Because I have 8 ft ceilings in my house, the boards fit just right between the floor and ceiling so I didn't have to nail them to the wall. I've had this system for a few years now and I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the portable one you bought me, but I'll confess that I've never actually used it (no space to set it up)--one more thing to look forward to in the new house, I guess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found a bare wall at the end of my sewing room. bought a piece of plain white flannel the size I wanted and stapled it to the wall. Staples don't leave big holes and if you have to take it down...(for whatever reason) fill the small holes with white toothpaste. Fabric and pieced squares hold very well when you smooth it on the flannel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a large flannel table cloth that I have tack to the wall( my LQS has it that way too and it works )the blocks hanges on to it nice and I can pin things on too . I got mine at the dollar store !!

    ReplyDelete