Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My Mess

So, I ran downstairs and started shuffling through the piles in my quilt room during naptime today... (I went down last night, but was sort of overwhelmed by it all, so nothing really got accomplished.) I have finally realized/determined/decided that I will not be able to arrange anything else until the huge tubs of fabrics are moved from the center of the room.




This is a view of the tubs. This is the angle you get as you come in the door.


I couldn't find my yardsticks easily, or I would have laid one out to give you some idea of scale. Best guess is: The ones with the green tops are at least 40 inches long, by 18 wide. Probably about 18-20 inches deep.



These next two are side and back views of the pile. Just so you can see all of the containers.
There are four of the ones with green lids. The very large blue one on the bottom is easily twice the size of the green lidded ones, the smaller gray ones are probably about the same volume, just differently distributed.



I thought that I had found every bit of fabric that I had and piled it into these pictures. (With the exception of the basket full of hexagons for the charm quilt. Its still upstairs, calling out to me, trying to make me feel ashamed for neglecting it.)
Then, after I loaded the pictures into my computer, I found a couple more smallish containers... Oh, well.
So, I started putting fabrics on shelves. And I have no idea what has possessed me, but I started measuring each cut as I took it out of the bins. Morbid curiosity, I guess. So the unpacking is going very slowly. But now I am afraid to stop. I'm afraid that if I don't keep measuring, I'll wonder what the total is. And then it will bug me until I pull everything off the shelf and measure it. So, I figure I might as well finish it now, when its slightly more convenient. (Relatively speaking, anyway. I mean I DO have to touch each piece of fabric anyway to get it out of the bins, right?)
Please take note. I am NOT promising to release the total amount of yardage to the general public. Not only because I might be busy hyperventilating at the sight of such a huge number, but also because my husband might possibly stumble across it. And that would be bad, because then I would never hear the end of it. Although... if the total isn't as bad as I'm afraid it is, its possible I might post it, just to brag about it not being an astronomical set of digits... OK, let's be realistic- don't hold your breath, because it will be bad...
So, that's the news for today. Time to drag the trash cans to the road, take out the trash still inside, and then- essential chores virtuously finished for the night- its back to fondling the fabric. No, wait. I mean neatly folding it very efficiently and without dawdling to sigh over any of it... Yeah. That's what I mean. ; )
See you next time!

4 comments:

  1. You do have a lot of stash there!! You will have time for sewing when the baby is older....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You WILL let your best friend know the total yardage, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know.... It depends entirely upon how horrible the final number turns out to be... It might be so bad that NO ONE ever needs to utter the total aloud. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your mess...LOL! Which reminds me, I want to get some cool, see through storage bins so I can see my stash better. I have about 6 copier sized boxes full of fabric - boring! Hope you got some of your stuff in order.

    ReplyDelete