Friday, November 26, 2010

The Secret Santa Swap

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday yesterday. Normally, today is the day that I do NOT leave the house. I despise the crowds and the stores and the insane hours that everyone expects me to wake up at... Basically everything about today is terrible. I've done the whole Black Friday thing, and I did not like it and do not ever plan to do it again.

But, today I made a slight exception to my "don't leave the house" rule. We just got back from the post office. (And that is the ONLY place we went, too!) I am pleased to announce that my items for the Secret Santa Swap are in the mail! And in the mail early! That's the part that tickles me. I hope they will arrive at their destination in a timely manner. (The USPS says it will take about two weeks...)

I really hope my swap partner likes her goodies. I've been sort of worrying about that. Does anyone else get this nervous about making gifts for people you don't know? I keep getting this horrible image of her looking through the blog posts and saying "Eeeewww. I really hope that's not mine!" I know its silly. And I know everyone always says that its the thought that counts, as long as you do your best, etc, etc, etc. But still...

I really had no idea what to make. And after a few weeks of indecision, I have finally decided on the following:


I mentioned earlier that I've wanted to work with felt for a while now, and when I found this project I thought it would be a nice gift. Candle mats and mug rugs seem to be all the rage in blogland lately, so that's what she's gonna get...
This is the nice Christmas-y candle mat. I actually got to use some of those decorative stitches on my machine for the first time. I know that it isn't perfect, but I'm quite happy with the results.

But when it was finished, it didn't seem like enough... So, I made her a cute little felt mug rug too. And after I made it, I realized that I had better hope she's not like my sister. (My sister is deathly afraid of birds. We have no idea why, she just is.) I have scoured her blog and can find no evidence of a bird phobia, so I hope we're OK... I personally think that there is not much that's more cheerful on a winter's day than sipping tea or cocoa and watching brightly colored cardinals outside of my window. So, I thought it would be the perfect pattern to use. And also, its more winter than Christmas, so she could use it for several months if she wanted to.



Here's a shot of them side by side....
And, that's what my swap partner is getting in the mail. Well.....
OK, I confess. I may have tossed a pincushion and some other little surprises into the package as well. (My family says I go overboard at Christmas. They're probably right, but it's just so much fun!) But I'm not telling what they are, because if I did, it would spoil the surprise. Right? Right!

10 comments:

  1. Oh you are sew funny! Anyone would be sew fortunate to receive your beautiful felt mats!! You did a marvelous job ... and yes, I feel the same exact way :) ... it just never seems like a good enough gift ... one more little thing will complete it and it leads to one more thing and one more thing ;). You've done marvelous! Now, if your inspiration can rub off on me, I'll get mine in the post tomorrow :) Blessings to you for an awesome weekend!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is gorgeous. I love it and I am sure so will she ( kind of hoping it is for me!!!) I did get this feeling and like you not sure will she like it or not!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny - I think the same thing!! We must worry too much!! But I hope my swap partner likes what I made! LOL
    The candle mat looks great! I would be thrilled to receive it!♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do know, don't you, that 90% of what we worry about never happens!!! When you don't know the other person, it is just hard to know what to make. I ended up just making something I would like to receive and truly hope that works. Your gifts are wonderful and you are an extrememly generous person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable gifts! I would love to receive them. and if I don't, could I please get your cardinal pattern? Love the mug rug, and I especially love cardinals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my this is beautiful...I would love to receive them as a secret santa....and you fit all this in while chasing babies...amazing..blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute are these? Are they for me??? LOL! I am sure whoever receives these will love them. I am like you....I don't go out on Black Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your felt swap project is ADORABLE!

    You know what else is adorable? An in-box. Have you checked yours recently??? ;-)

    Oh, and know you WHAT ELSE is adorable??? The winner of my Day 4!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! those are beautiful gifts... I know your partner will be pleased but IF she returns your package ship it to Nova Scotia,I'll even pay for the postage (LOL). I hope you enjoyed taking part in the Secret Santa Swap. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete