Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A thank you and some assorted ramblings...

First off, I want to take a minute to say a great big "Thank You!!" to all of the kind ladies who have left me such wonderful comments over the past week or two. Your kind words have warmed my heart, and they are very greatly appreciated. I would also like to apologize for, as is usually the case, being so very far behind in answering my emails... I have tried to catch up, but at this point in the holiday season, it might never happen. Please know that I did read and appreciate your comments, and I am grateful that you choose to read my ramblings (especially when there are so many other blogs you could choose to be reading).


Also, sorry for the lack of pictures this time around, but I couldn't seem to find anything that was not somehow intended for a Christmas gift, or already posted previously. I hope to dig up something interesting to look at for the next post.


Let's see... Oh, yes. I have gotten a couple of questions about the cardinal on the mug rug that was posted on the swap post. That cardinal is from the pattern called "Cardinal Winter Candle Mat" by Annelle's Originals. I found the pattern over here:
http://www.prairiepointjunction.com/woolfeltpatterns.html at Wool Felt Central. They have TONS of cute stuff to choose from. I did make the actual pattern (Christmas gift again) but for the mug rug, I took just one little cardinal and a few holly leaves and sort of improvised. I thought it was really cute... And I'm quite happy that so many others did as well. It gives me hope that my swap partner will be very happy with her gift. When it finally arrives... (Post Office estimated that it should get to her on Thursday, so let's hope they were right and it hasn't been delayed somehow... This international mailing stuff is all new to me. I'm not sure what to think about it.)


Otherwise, it's been quiet but busy over here. I've been trying to get organized enough to do Christmas properly. This is quite an involved month-long thing for me most years. I love to decorate and spend weeks making homemade candies. Then the last week before Christmas is for cookie baking and wrapping whatever hasn't already been wrapped...

This year, I'm off to a very slow start. Quilty gifts are not finished yet, nothing is wrapped, the candy molds and tins are not unpacked yet (they got shoved in a corner somewhere during the move...), and I don't have as many decorations out as I normally would like. I did finally get the ornaments onto the tree. It only took about 4 days of looking at a bare tree... And the tree is still pretty sparse. Turns out, most of the ornaments I have are breakable. So, I used everything that was not very fragile down towards the bottom of the tree- in the toddler "danger" zone. And some of the breakable stuff is at the top. And quite a bit of what I would have put on the tree normally, is still in the boxes waiting for next year... I'm OK with that.


Part of the problem with getting going this season is rather unexpected for me. Little Miss has been a Daddy's Girl since- well, basically before birth. But suddenly, she has decided that she wants... me! Constantly. A year ago, I would have been so ecstatic about all of this. Now that she's more than 1 1/2 years old, it's not as great as I imagined it might be. I have not developed the proper skills for dealing with housework while holding a toddler... (My sister-in-law can cook, clean, and wash dishes all while holding a baby on her hip... I've seen it.) I never needed to worry about learning this when she was small, because she always wanted someone else to hold her. Now, it's all me tripping over her, her screaming to be picked up, me trying to cook without dropping something on her... You get the picture. Plus, she's heavy now! It makes my back hurt just thinking about it...

So, we're now trying to work out how to get everything done without too many tears. I suspect that this will be a year with fewer candies and cookies. But that's OK with me, too. I hope my family feels the same way. I'm going to concentrate of finishing gifts and enjoying my family. But we will have plenty of junk food too, don't worry! That's part of what makes Christmas so much fun.

So, hopefully, I'll be back in a couple of days. And with any luck, I'll be able to find something to take a picture of... See you next time!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I'm {sometimes} glad my girls are 4 and 6 now .. except they're more vocal :) I used to bring their highchair right next to where I was baking or mixing so they could "be a part of" what I was doing. Now they just like to pull their chairs up to the counter to "help" lol...Less is totally more this time of year when the young ones are considered. Your time to them is more valuable than anything you can make or do for anyone else ... guilt-free!! Enjoy enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete