Tuesday, August 11, 2020

You Should Be Reading...

Abby Jimenez

- author of  The Friend Zone, The Happy Ever After Playlist, and the upcoming Life's Too Short


I have a confession to make. I don't read romance novels. Like, ever.  At least, I didn't.

Once upon a time, long, long ago, having read pretty much the entire public library, I looked around for something -anything!- else to read. Pickings were slim. If it looked even remotely interesting, I had already read it. Except... there was one shelf. It was the 'here, just take it' shelf where they keep all the books they don't care about getting back. More properly called the 'Book Exchange', it was the only place in the library that operated on the 'have a penny, need a penny' principle. And it was completely full of romance novels. You know the ones, with their matching covers and swirly writing. The half-naked characters in various swooning poses. Yeah, those.

Up until then, I had never really paid attention to these books. Being only in junior high, they had never caught my notice and there was a whole library full of dragons and spaceships that were much more important. But now desperation loomed and, needing a new story, their little matching covers called to be explored. So, I took a few home to try.

Please don't scream at me. I am well aware that very many people LOVE these books and if that happens to be your jam, congratulations. I wish you much joy. But.

They were not for me. Maybe I was too young. Maybe I grabbed the wrong books. Maybe they were from the wrong printing company. Whatever the reason- I hated them. Every single one that I looked at.

The result was rereading a lot of my favorite books a lot of times and an almost allergic reaction at any suggestion that I might read *gasp* a love story. Ever since then, I have religiously avoided the entire romance section of every bookstore I have entered and I have never willingly or knowingly read anything that would be labeled romance.  

But then...

One day my social media pages were covered with photos of a cake. Yeah, that one, with the now trademarked name. And the hilarious tweets and photos from the woman responsible for it going viral. Enter the cupcake lady, Abby Jimenez. This was the first I had heard of her, but she was hilarious and entertaining. I quickly followed her social media accounts for much needed laughs.

Then she announced that she had written a book and was being published. I was so excited! Then she told me it was a romance. Cue the tears (see aforementioned life-long prejudice). I was so upset. This woman was hilarious and entertaining and she was wasting all that talent on a romance. (I know, I know. Please don't scream at me.)

Time went by. Everyone was LOVING this book (The Friend Zone). I was just sad that I couldn't read it. (I know!)

And then I couldn't stand it anymore. I signed up for the wait list at my library. It was forever long. So I waited. And waited. And then, it was finally my turn. I loaded it onto my kindle and settled down to give it a go.

I did not stand up again until that book was over. I laughed, I cried, I got caught up in the plot and the characters. I fell in love with this story. There was only one thing left to do. 

I immediately jumped on the waiting list for The Happy Ever After Playlist. And it was every bit as good as The Friend Zone. I promptly bought myself copies of both. And I have pre-ordered my copy of the new book, Life's Too Short. The only horrible thing about that is it isn't due to be released until April. I don't want to wait that long!

And, I believe now I can officially claim that I am cured of my decades-long shunning of an entire genre. I've even read another romance (knowingly and willingly) since. And I'm giving all the credit to the hilarious Abby Jimenez, who showed me that a good romance should indeed have an actual plot in addition to the sex scenes. Although, those are good too. (I'm still not ready to revisit any of the old imprint series that started this whole problem, though. Please don't ask.)

One important note: You need to be aware that these books contain some of the same characters. At least, the first two definitely do. (I have not yet gotten my hands on the new one. And I NEED April to get here as soon as possible. But what little story summary information I have seen suggests there may be some relation to previous characters.) For best reading without spoilers, you should definitely start with The Friend Zone. If you don't mind spoilers, then disregard this entirely. :)

I highly recommend you give Abby Jimenez and her books a try. Even if you think you don't like romance novels. 



No comments:

Post a Comment