Thursday, February 11, 2021

The American Presidents series

 So, approximately a million years ago, I decided that I should read more American history. I was reading quite a bit of English history at the time, mostly the Tudors, and I felt that I needed to learn more about the United States. So I went down to the bookstore and got a biography of George Washington. Seemed like the way to get a good overview of the country was to start at the beginning and follow through all the presidencies. And then, after about 75 pages of reading, I got distracted by some other book and Georgie went onto the bookshelf. And sat there for years. (Seriously, the receipt is still in the book, marking the point where I wandered off. It's from Borders Books and Music and it is dated 2006. So, like I said, forever ago.)

It wasn't until I started packing up all my books for the move that I stumbled across old George again and remembered this little project. So, I started it up again. 

At first, I just read whichever biographies I could find, with no real system. But as I read on, I found that several of the better books seemed to come from the same series. So, I decided to go back and start over, reading that series straight through. It also doesn't hurt that they have done a biography of every president (except the last couple, which I guess are too recent) in this series. Some of these dudes seem to not be popular enough to have many other biographies to choose from. 

So, last year I decided to reboot the project. And this time, I've been taking some notes. Please understand that I don't mean they're meaningful notes, just little facts I found interesting as I was reading. My current goal is to read one biography a month. And then blog about it. 

I have no idea what I'll find to say about these guys. Expect the blogs to be pretty short. More just a record that I've read them as I promised myself I would than any great font of information. But, hey, maybe someone else out there will find it helpful or interesting. It could happen, right?

I have a page I'm setting up to help me keep track of all these presidents. Once I finish typing it out, it will go live and I'll keep it updated as I get blog posts about each one. Just in case anyone wants to follow along.

No comments:

Post a Comment