Tuesday, February 16, 2021

You Should Be Reading...

 Rick Riordan

(author of the Percy Jackson books, the Kane Chronicles, the Trials of Apollo books, and more)


I first stumbled on Rick Riordan years before my kids were even close to old enough to read them. I read the first set of Percy Jackson books because everyone online seemed to be talking about them. And they were good. I very much enjoyed them. But then, I stuck them in a corner and moved on to other stories.

Fast forward several years. 

I went to enroll my kids into their new schools after our move. The school was giving away books. It was late in the day and they made the mistake of telling me to take as many books as my kids would want. (Pro tip: NEVER say anything like that to a bookworm who's trying to raise bookworms. We will wipe you out! You will have NO books left!) I was kind to them, since they had no clue what they had just done and I only chose a few books for each of my girls. Among them, the first three (or was it four?) of the second set of Percy Jackson books.

Because, here's the thing. I have somehow accidentally gotten a child that adores mythology. I'm not quite sure how that happened. I didn't do it on purpose. But one book led to another series led to...  She started off with Greek mythology- and I suppose a little Roman thrown in, since Athena was not wrong when she called them copycats*- and then moved on into Norse myths, forcing me to try and catch up with her. (I had never read any Norse mythology until then.) But, the point is, I knew she'd love Percy Jackson once she met him. 

I was not wrong. She has now raced through every Rick Riordan book that I have managed to get my hands on. And she wants to see the musical (how I'll manage that, I have no idea. There doesn't seem to be a recorded version anywhere). She even wants to watch the movie(s?) that were made from the first set of books. (So, I guess I'll be searching for that soon, too...)

She just finished the Trials of Apollo series this week. (I have NOT finished yet, because stupid work and chores and what do you mean I have to feed you people again?? Stuff like that. But, I'm in book 4, so I'm not too far behind.)

And I suppose that's the whole reason you should be reading Rick Riordan. Because while, technically, he writes these books for the upper-range middle grade audience (or the lower ages of the young adult audience, take your pick), they are just as entertaining for adults. These are books that you can read with your kids, or alongside of them, and all of you will enjoy the experience. And you might accidentally learn some cool mythology in the process. Several different types of mythology. So far I've encountered Greek, Roman, Norse, and Egyptian (which I am completely unfamiliar with, so that was a new adventure.)

I have always firmly believed that you can never be too old for a truly good story, no matter what age it was intended for. These books prove my point. Give them a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed.


*The Mark of Athena, chapter 17, I believe. Athena calls them "horrible, dishonorable, copycat Romans." I've always had a preference for the Greek names and stories, so I found her copycat accusation to be very fitting. I may have even giggled.

2 comments:

  1. I am well into adulthood and read the Rick Riordan series happily. I must suggest that you take a look a Naomi Novik as well. The first of the series is "His Majesty's Dragon". So good. I listened to a portion of the third because I had the audio format handy. SUCH A GOOD READER experience. But reading is always my first preference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Temeraire! I have a fondness for dragons and dragon stories. Always have. I found her books about Temeraire right after I devoured "Spinning Silver" and "Uprooted" and went looking for more! It's frequently too loud around here to enjoy a good audiobook (also, my mind wanders off a lot), but I might have to check out her audio versions now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete